COVID just keeps presenting us opportunities to learn new skills! For me, cooking a turkey felt like an intimidating task not because I’ve every tried but just because it has that reputation. I learn by doing and I’ve conquered much bigger things in our COVID era so I’m using our Farmily Thanksgiving as an opportunity to learn this too! I thought while I’m looking into it I’d share tips with you too. I mean I already learned this morning that I’m behind on the thawing process so here’s the best set of tips I’m looking at for any other Thanksgiving newbies out there…
Simple and Juicy Turkey Cheat-Sheet
- How big of a turkey? This method is best for a 12 to 16 pound bird. (Buy 1 to 1 1/2 pounds turkey for each guest.)
- How long to cook the turkey? 13 minutes of cooking time for each pound of turkey if roasting empty and 15 minutes per pound if stuffed.
- What temperature to cook the turkey? Preheat the oven to 450°F then drop the temperature to 350°F after putting the turkey into the oven.
- What temperature should the turkey be? The turkey is done when it registers a minimum of 165° in the thickest part of the thigh.
- How long to rest the turkey? Rest the turkey for at least 15 minutes before carving.
See more detailed instructions here.